Chief Master Sergeant Ryan A. Thuyns is the Command Chief, 319th Reconnaissance Wing,
Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. As the command chief, he serves as the principle senior enlisted advisor to the wing commander on the morale, welfare, discipline, training, fitness and effective utilization of the base’s combat ready personnel assigned to the wing, two tenant units and eleven GSUs. The wing trains, deploys and redeploys over 1,400 Airmen in the support of Air Expeditionary Force and combatant commander requirements. It also provides facilities and equipment support for the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, the 69th Reconnaissance Group and North Dakota Air National Guard’s 119th Wing. The wing is also only one of two locations worldwide operating the support of senior leader communications for all Department of Defense agencies, including the office of the President of the United States. In addition, the wing provides logistics, civil engineer, contracting, communications, medical, security and force support functions as well as facilities and equipment valued at $2.2B and executes an annual budget of $48M.
Chief Thuyns enlisted in the Air Force in December of 1995 and he has a diverse background in communications career field having served in base, tactical and Air Operation Center squadron level positions and on both the numbered Air Force and major command staffs. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Superintendent for the 355th Mission Support Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.
2000 Associates in Electronics Systems Technology, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2001 Airman Leadership School, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2007 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Management, Grantham University, Mo. 2008 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun AS, Germany
2011 Master of Project Management, Grantham University, Mo.
2014 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2018 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II
- July 1996 – August 2000, Telephone Systems Apprentice, 377th Comm Sq, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
- August 2000 – June 2006, Voice Network Systems Supervisor, 56th Comm Sq, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- June 2006 – June 2008, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Voice Network Systems, 39th Comm Sq, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
- June 2008 – August 2010, NCOIC, Deployable C4 Systems, 612th Air Comm Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- August 2010 – January 2012, Manager, C4 Plans, Comm Directorate, 3rd Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
- January 2012 – August 2013, Manager, Command Voice Network Systems, Comm Directorate, HQ USAFE, Ramstein AB, GE
- August 2013 – August 2015, Superintendent, Chief of Staff, HQ USAFE-AFAFRICA, Ramstein AB, GE
- August 2015 – April 2016, Flight Chief, AOC C4I Mission Systems, 612th Air Comm Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- April 2016 – April 2018, Superintendent, 355th Comm Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
(July 2017- December 2017, Chief Enlisted Manager, Air Forces Central Command, Cyber and C4 Systems, Al-Udeid AB, Qatar)
- May 2018 – March 2019, Superintendent, 355th Mission Support Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- April 2019 – Present, Command Chief, 319th Air Base Wing, Grand Forks AFB, ND.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal
1996 Honor Graduate, Basic Military Training 1998 Senior Airman Below-The-Zone
2009 612th Air Comm Squadron NCO of the Year 2009 HQ 12th AF NCO of the Year
2012 Comm Directorate, HQ USAFE, SNCO of the Year
2014 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Nov 1, 2016
(Current as of April 2019)