COLONEL BART P. YATES
Col Bart P. Yates is the Vice Commander of the 319th Reconnaissance Wing, Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. As the Vice Commander, Col Yates is responsible for organizing, training and equipping the U.S. Air Force’s worldwide fleet of RQ-4 Global Hawk aircraft. He leads the premier Global Hawk wing comprised of three groups, 14 squadrons, and three detachments, executing a budget of $70 million, and employing aircraft, equipment and facilities valued at $5 billion. He also enables strategic command and control through the High Frequency Global Communication System (HFGCS), and provides base support to the Department of Homeland Security, public-private partners, and three geographically separated detachments. Col Yates operates a wing continuously engaged in combat, contingency and other operations in every combatant theater across the globe.
Col Yates received his commission in 1996 through the Air Force ROTC program at Oregon State University. Following graduation, he served in a variety of operational assignments as a C-130E aircraft commander and RQ/MQ-1 Predator, C-17A, and RQ-4B Global Hawk instructor pilot. He has been engaged in multiple combat operations in Southwest Asia and Afghanistan. He has also served a joint assignment as the Chief of Aerospace Exercises, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado. Prior to his current position, Col Yates was the Chief of the Strategy Division, 609th Combined Air Operations Center, United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
Col Yates is a command pilot with over 3,000 hours including over 400 combat hours.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Oregon State University
2002 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Master of Public Administration, University of Oklahoma
2010 Command and General Staff College in residence, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2017 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1996 – April 1997, Transition Officer, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. April 1997 – December 1997, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. December 1997 – September 1998, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Texas
4. September 1998 – March 1999, Student, C-130E pilot training, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. April 1999 – April 2002, C-130E Aircraft Commander, Executive Officer, Life Support Officer and Airlift Director, 36th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
6. April 2002 – November 2004, RQ-1 and MQ-1 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, & Chief of Training, 15th Reconnaissance Squadron, Creech AFB, Nev.
7. November 2004 – March 2005, Student, C-17A pilot training, Altus AFB, Okla.
8. March 2005 – November 2005, C-17A Aircraft Commander, Chief of Safety, 7th Airlift Squadron. McChord AFB, Wash.
9. November 2005 – January 2007, C-17A Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 62nd Operations Support Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
10. January 2007 – August 2007, Air Mobility Command Rodeo Operations Officer, McChord AFB, Wash.
11. August 2007 – March 2008, Assistant Director of Operations, 7th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
12. March 2008 – January 2010, Chief, Aerospace Exercise Branch, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. January 2010 – December 2010, Student, US Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
14. January 2011 – May 2011, Student, RQ-4B pilot training, Beale AFB, Calif.
15. May 2011 – December 2011, RQ-4B Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 12th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
16. December 2011 – April 2012, Director of Operations, 12th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
17. April 2012 – May 2014 – Commander, 12th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
18. May 2014 – July 2016 – Deputy Chief, Warfighting Integration Division, SAF-CIO A6, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
19. August 2016 – June 2017 – Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
20. June 2017 – June 2018 – Chief, Strategy Division, 609th Combined Air Operations Center, United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
21. June 2018 – Present – Vice Commander, 319th Reconnaissance Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
Rating: Command Pilot
Hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft flown: C-130E, RQ-1, MQ-1, C-17A and RQ-4B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with two silver leaf clusters and one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 8 July 1996
First Lieutenant 8 July 1998
Captain 8 July 2000
Major 1 July 2006
Lieutenant Colonel 1 November 2011
Colonel 1 January 2018
(Current as of June 2019)